Wednesday, June 22, 2011

My brother got married last weekend. I made a cake for the rehearsal dinner. My brother drew me a picture of exactly what he wanted. Neither one of them like carrot cake, but I made one for my moms birthday and they both loved it and said that they wanted their dinner cake to be carrot cake, so thats what it is.

I was getting so nervous about making this cake all by myself to feed 60 people. I started about a week ahead of the dinner so that I would have plenty of time to redo it if I messed it up. I am happy to say that I didnt mess it up :)

Putting together the two layers with cream cheese frosting. The cake stuck in the pan so I kinda had to piece it back together. Good thing you cant see this in the final product!!

Getting the fondant all rolled out was a big task. My arms were so so super tired. It all went on very smoothly.



Trimming off the extra fondant. I smoothed out all the lumps on the cake with a coffee cup (I didnt want to pay $10 for a smoothing tool.)



Dying white fondant black takes a lot of color and kneading. My arms were dead by this point. I rolled out the black fondant and cut 1 by 1 inch squares then "glued" them on the cake with sugar water. LONG process!



Two hours later my cake completely covered. The idea was to make it a checkered flag.



Now for the bike jump that my brother wanted. I made rice crispy treats and shaped them while they were still hot. After they cooled I covered them in fondant that I colored brown. I then added chocolate frosting to the sides to make it look more like dirt. Then added some sand looking sprinkles. I was happy with how dirt like the jumps looked. :)



The final product-My brother on his bike jumping through the finish line.



My brother seeing his cake for the first time. He said that it was exactly how he wanted it. Made me feel good. He also said that he wasnt going to let anyone eat it. He wanted to take it home and put it on display. (We ate it!)



My brother and me with the cake. I am so proud of it!!! Just because I got it exactly how my brother wanted it.



I am good! haha just kidding!!






1 comment: